The Art of Indian Head Massage
Indian Head Massage will lift you out of the stresses of daily life and provide you with a real cure for those aching, tense neck and shoulder muscles.
The art of Indian Head Massage originated from Ayurveda, the ancient Indian system of medicine. Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word that can be translated to “knowledge of life.”
Massage has always played an essential role in family life in India. It is an integral part of the daily routine and is highly recommended for everyone throughout all stages of life.
Indian Head Massage was originally developed by Indian women as part of their daily grooming routine. Massage skills were passed on from mother to daughter from generation to generation.
Melt Away Stress with Indian Head Massage
Head massage is touch therapy, which in itself creates a bond and provides comfort for my clients.
Most people are starved of physical touch and may simply find human contact very therapeutic. The simple act of sitting down and being still, with someone’s healing hands on your head will disperse your stress straight away.
This kind of contact can be very valuable for anyone who is experiencing isolation or loneliness. Touch, via Indian head massage, brings about a feeling of inner peace.
Working on particular areas of the body, especially the neck and the shoulders, where stress affects major muscle groups can bring immediate relief.
Tensions are eased and fibrous knots and nodules melt away. The efficiency of the circulatory and lymphatic systems improves, toxins are dispersed from tense muscles and flexibility and fluidity of movement is restored.
As the massage proceeds, the client relaxes his or her breathing becomes deeper and more and more oxygen is supplied to the body. It’s not uncommon for a client to tell me that they have hit upon a solution to a presenting problem after experiencing an Indian head massage.
As the treatment continues, a deeper sense of relaxation is induced and I feel the client’s energy level is improved.
At this point some people find it helps them to open up and talk about the troubles and stresses in their lives. Talking can be very therapeutic, helping to release bottled up feelings and thoughts.
Towards the end of a head massage session my clients feel a tremendous sense of peace. A self-awareness of the qualities of love residing within the heart can be rekindled, allowing complete enjoyment of life once again.
Indian Head Massage Technique
The traditional Indian head massage practised by women in India was restricted to the head and hair.
However it has been extended to include the neck, shoulders and upper arms.
Advantages of Indian Head Massage Treatment
- no need to undress
- treatment done in a seated position
- cost effective – a half hour treatment can cost as little as $30.00
- suitable for all ages and also for pregnant women
- can be done anywhere at anytime
- minimal equipment needed – just a fold out chair and a small pillow or folded up towel
Benefits of Indian Head Massage
- a sense of purpose in life
- a positive outlook
- outlets of creative self-expression
- physical and mental and emotional fitness
- a low rising heart rate
- physical stamina
- a good bodyweight ratio (slim but not underweight)
- an ability to express emotions (including anger) assertively
- an ability to relax thoroughly in any situation
- a sense of self worth
- a pride in your achievements
- the skills to manage your relationships so that support and enjoyment are maximized
- the ability to manage your stress in a good-humoured and flexible way